Think I might regret writing this blog – but anyhoo, here goes.
Just read a couple of interesting blogs from Morzine Source Magazine about the potential impact of a “Brexit” on Morzine and the Portes du Soleil area generally. Obviously Morzine is very UK friendly as a place, not least from the quantity of UK peeps who live, work and have fun there year round, be it board, ski or bike related.
- Immigration, a weakening pound, terrorism, refugees and Boris. BREXIT continued…
- BREXIT – Is this the last winter season in Morzine for the seasonaires from the UK?
Now far be it for me to make any kind of political statement, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all that jazz, but the
f*ckwits politicians who are calling for the UK to leave are having a fundamentally negative effect on the pound. Last year when we went, things were very healthy at a GBP to Euro rate of 1.44. I’ve just checked the currency rate on xe.com and it’s languishing at 1.27. I remember skiing with Dave D, Leigh B and Buz a few years ago and the rate was basically 1.00:1.00. Buying a chocolate chaud on that trip made me sob like a child.
The referendum date is set for 26th June, just before we head to Morzine so we will either be welcomed or burnt at the border – either of those things is possible…
Anyway, I have therefore concluded that Boris Johnson is a gimp without a backbone, IDS is simply positioning himself for the aftermath of the Conservative civil war for a better cabinet job and all those other politcos who are arguing for the UK to leave:
- Hate MTBers
- Are power hungry dicks who are more interested in securing more political power than they are in the social well-being of the UK populous
- Are trying to ruin my spiritual relationship with the French Alps
- Are so self-important they want to waste UK taxpayer money on a stupid bloody referendum instead of spending it on better things (like trail centers…)
- Are just
I know the EU is flawed (I should do, I worked within it for a while). I know it could be better. I know French Politicans are annoying (they just are). But I’m sorry, I wish the “Leave” crowd would all just take a running jump off Big Ben.
A pox on them all… Here endeth the rant.